Drew Malino

If you find out something interesting regarding YouTube celebrities, YouTube itself or just have an interesting story to share that you think is awesome/really concerning, let me know here. (Might wind up in a video!)

Moderator: Kavril

Chell

Drew Malino

Post by Chell » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Drew Malino is a Youtuber with nearly 500,000 Subscribers, and he is a good friend of mine.
I thought it would be a good idea to bring up the point of letting your fan base control your content, as this is what destroyed his channel.
He used to get maybe 200,000 views per video - yet he was doing something that he eventually wasn't happy doing. His fan base was controlling the content he was making, and when he /DID/ do something he wanted to do he'd literally get about 1/5th the views and people would question him. He'd even lose subscribers.

The videos he was making were called "Chatroulette music time", yet half of his videos weren't able to be monetized due to the obvious reason of music in his videos - of course making it near impossible for him to make a living off of his videos. He got many copyright strikes, which of course meant he needed to stop. His Subscribers didn't like it, or at least a large majority of them.

He even attempted to combat the copyright strikes by asking his fans to submit music to use in his videos, yet - to no avail.

It must be really hard to fall out of love with the one thing your followers subscribe to you for.

He switched over to other platforms, which somewhat saved him in a sense.
Younow, Twitch. Gained a decent following over there. If it weren't for that, his career would be over.

Throughout the last week, he has started making the Chatroulette content again.
He's a wonderful guy, yet he's gone back to doing the thing he doesn't find fun.
He's racking up a mere 5 to 10 thousand views per video now.

I thought it would be a good idea to bring up the point of doing what you want to do, not to let your following control you - because it'll end up biting you back in the ass.

As a friend of Drews, it has been really hard for me to watch this happen to him - because he puts so much work in to his content, yet I just had to sit there and watch as his channel basically demolished itself.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DREWMALINO/videos

Sorry if I'm not great at making the point I'm trying to put forth, but it's a real concern..
Thanks.

[UPDATE: The reason I'm making this Thread is because I think it's a good idea to warn other content creators of what a mob mentality can do. Don't let others stop you from doing what you love.]
  • Avid PC Gamer
  • Graphic Designer
  • Content Creator
  • Amateur Artist
  • Web Dev

Onision
Site Admin

Re: Drew Malino

Post by Onision » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

There will always be people who are dissatisfied with your content, so you just gotta be yourself.
We are whatever we wish to be.

Chell

Re: Drew Malino

Post by Chell » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:06 am

Onision wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm
There will always be people who are dissatisfied with your content, so you just gotta be yourself.
What you say is true, awfully true.
Yet it's hard to do that if being yourself has consequences

I see many get stuck in this loop of not knowing what to do, because they're not making content they want to be making - yet, if they stop doing that; they'll lose the base they've been building for the last what..- 6/10 years.

It's a tough subject, but thank you for the response.

G'day.
  • Avid PC Gamer
  • Graphic Designer
  • Content Creator
  • Amateur Artist
  • Web Dev